All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Monday, April 5, 2010

April 4, Easter Sunday- Biking

Easter Sunday, April 4
Alt. Transportation: road bike, 2 panniers
Points: 2
Gear: black wunder unders, power y, bold blue swiftly tee, black stride jacket

I set myself up for success last night.  I laid out my biking clothes and prepared my lunch.  After hitting my snooze button once, I was up, dressed, panniers (bike bags) packed with snacks for our sunday morning class, and ready to go within 10 minutes.  It was only 7:25am.  I didn't have to leave until 8:00am.  I could have slept in an extra half hour!!! Instead of lamenting the lost sleep, I basked in the morning sun streaming through the kitchen windows, sipping a perfect cup of yerba mate (I have recently switched from coffee to yerba mate).

The streets of Silverlake and Glendale were empty and peaceful on this early Easter morning.  Right before the Hyperion bridge starts heading into Atwater village, I grabbed my little digital camera out of my jacket pocket.  The site of the valley under the large open sky with the snow capped mountains in the background is worth climbing every hill.  With my camera held high over my head i, I try to capture the essence of the scene as it unfolds. Unfortunately, I kept hitting the on/off button instead of the capture button.  That just means I'll have to try again.


With the downhill momentum, I glide into Atwater Village, camera still in hand.  I just point and shoot (clicking the correct button this time).  This is so much fun! I love taking pictures while riding my bike! Who cares if they aren't perfectly straight or in focus? This gave me an idea.  What if I rigged a camera mount to my handlebars? Would that make taking pictures easier? Safer? Hmm... I'll just have to do it and find out.  My by when to make this happen is April 30.  Expect that series of photos soon!

Take aways from today:
1) Preparing the night before lets me 1) sleep in 2) ensures an easy and stress free ride 3) eat well and save money by packing my own lunch
2) Bike photography is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment