All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 10 - Slimmons with Simmons

Saturday, April 10
Alt. Mode - carpool
Points - 4
Gear - black team spirit crops, short sleeve bold blue swiftly tee, lagoon slipless headband, reebox run shoes


What a better way to bond with mom, take advantage of Hollywood, and get a work out in than joining the one and only Richard Simmons for his weekly "Sweatin'" class.  When we arrived half an hour early to sign in there were only a few people there.  Then they started arriving, mothers and daughters, sisters, aunts visiting from North Carolina, and droves of friends all cramming in the foyer to get a chance to to sweat it out with Richard.

When it was time, the double doors opened into a larger, mirrored room and everyone raced in, securing a spot.  In all, there were between 75-100 people of all ages and weights.

The theme of class was Five Decades of Divas.  Even though I couldn't always from the back, I tried my best to keep up.  I have to admit, I am the least coordinated person when it comes to rhythmatically moving my feet.  I kept punching left when I should have been kicking right.  None the less, the fact that I was moving was all that mattered.

We danced, sweat, high kicked, and plied to Olivia Newton-John, Blondie, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, that disco song, "Gloria," and Rhiannah.  And, oh, is Richard a dirty old man.  The dancing was followed up by free weights, crunches, and side crunches.  During one transitional break, he came over and gave my mom a big kiss on the cheek.  She made him wait so he could plant one on me.  Oh my God! Richard Simmons kissed me on the cheek!!! My day was made.

At the end of class while we all sat on our mats after crunches, Richard gave us a motivational talk.  He told us his story.  From the time he was young, he had orthodics for his right leg.  His doctors wanted to operate, but his parents wouldn't let them.  All his life, all he wanted to do was help people and dance.  He worked in an Italian restaurant until he saved up $25,000 to open up Slimmons Studio in Beverly Hills.  That was 38 years ago!!! I was years from being born! He emphasized going for your dreams, "wanting it so bad it hurts," and making sure you know that you, yourself are an incredible person!  You tell it, Richard!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment