All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3 - Day Off


Saturday, April 3
Day Off!!!
Points: 0

I didn't go to work and I didn't work out.  I would have gone to Pilates Plus Silverlake, but it was completely booked all day!  Instead, I enjoyed a stress free day of doing what needed to be done, but whenever I felt like it.

I stuffed 2 reusable bags in my running backpack (which I love because its so lightweight, has lots of pockets in all the right places, and it allows me to be hands free) and grabbed Andy's as we walked the mile to the farmer's market in sunset junction.

As an incentive to walk, I bought myself a present.  I've been obsessed with them, talking about them, and researching them for the past week: butt shaping shoes.  I know what you're thinking.  I'm sure they work, but they are UG-LY!  Ah, but not all of them.  Let me introduce you to the Reebox Run Tone:

Cute, right?  Supposedly, I can run and walk in them.  I felt them working during my Power Sculpting class at the Toluca Lake Sports Center yesterday.  And I've felt it in my calves.  Its only day 3.  I'll keep you updated.  I'm debating the before and after butt shot???

The first 2 days of the challenge were successful, but both consisted of me in an automobile.  I'm pumped to ride my bike tomorrow morning.  Its a red vintage 10 or 12 speed fuji with racing handles.  I bought it used from a guy with a store on the side of the rode back in Austin, TX.  I fixed her up a bit, re taped the handlebars, installed a rack over the back tire, and put cages on the pedals.  Making these modifications and working on her has become one of my peaceful places.  There's a certain level of pride, ownership, and zen when successfully working your own mode of transportation.  I now understand why guys like to work on cars so much.

I paid $7 for the pedal cages.  They were my answer to spending $150+ on new pedals and cycling shoes.  So far, I really feel the difference, especially when dealing with those long gradual hills winding through Silverlake and LA.  If you don't have the money to spend on new gear or don't know if you're going to commit, I highly recommend the $7 cages available at REI or your local bike shop.

As soon as I'm done typing, I'm going to pack my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow, the post-class snacks, and lay out my biking clothes (wunder unders, cool racerback, luon henley, stride jacket, socks, undies, power y, helmet).  If that Leader of the Track Jacket is still at work, I'll probably get it as a wind blocking investment piece.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know about those Reebok shaper shoes! They look like regular tennies for the most part. You are right though, the "other" butt shaping shoes are pretty funky looking, although my parents are super stoked with their Skechers Shape Ups they got not too long ago. Hey, if it gets them walking, then why the heck not!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Sparky = Lisa Z (run club guru)...haha

    ReplyDelete