All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 2 - The Bus

Friday April 2, 2010
Alt. Transportation: Bus, 603 Coronado/Sunset to Glendale Galleria
Gear: Black wunder under crops, passion swiftly racerback, black stride jacket, coal running backpack, ipod loaded with Brian Tracy.
Points: 2

Back in my Boston days (1998-2007), I'd walk, hop on bus, or ride the T without a second thought.  Those were by far the easiest, most convenient ways to get around the city.  Parking was a nightmare.  Even worse than maneuvering the old cow paths we called streets were the drivers.  They're called Massholes for a reason.  I've lived in Los Angeles for 3 months and this was my first time on the bus.  Despite the furrowed brows and questioning from friends,  I looked forward to just sitting there, staring out the window, listening to my headphones, and watching the city unfold in front of me.

I checked and double checked the LA Metro site, making sure the bus I was going to get on, the 603, was in fact the bus that would take me to work.  Stepping onto my very first LA bus, I heard very explicit words coming from the last seat of the bus.  Every passenger was perfectly still, facing forward, hands in their lap.   Especially the children.  Uh oh.  This is to cliche, I thought to myself.  Fortunately, the woman with the Torrettes (literally) exited at the next stop, but not before thanking the bus driver as she stepped off.

From there, the bus took a back route to Riverside via Allesandro St. but not before drving down Alvarado and Glendale.  I drive these streets often enough but experiencing them as a passenger gazing out the window was a completely different experience.  I wish I thought to have my camera out earlier.  Oh the pictures I wish I shot.  There was a huge mural, graffittied with "Outsiders Welcome." Loved it! I caught glimpses of some of the infamous stairs of Los Angeles and Silverlake.  The homes they secluded, the history involved and the moving logistics boggled my mind.

Once the bus started filling up, an older man sat next to me.  In his hand was a bouquet of orchids I had never seen before.  I turned to him, told him they were beautiful, and asked what type they were.  Waving his hands, he replied with a thick accent, "It does not matter. Every flower is beautiful."  Lesson for the day.

The bus came to a stop near a large parking garage.  Everyone got up and shuffled for the door.  This must be my stop.  Cutting through the Galleria to get to the Americana, I got distracted by the free samples at Teavana.  I was lured inside by the idea of a delicious, cooling ice tea.  I got an iced raspberry and lemon matte.  Yum, yum, yum.  Even better, we talked Earl Greys.  You see, I make chocolate.  Next month's chocolate of the month club is an earl grey infused chocolate.  They have a vanilla and blue corn flower earl grey tea that will be PERFECT.  So glad my path took me this way today!

"I walk everywhere," I overheard Jadah (an awesome woman I was about meet) exclaim to another guest. I caught up with her in the fit rooms.  She intentionally gave up driving and converted to a walking lifestyle in her efforts to go green 5-6 years ago.  Because of this, she met her man while commuting on a train.  He, too, was an eco-conscious walker.  We discussed the intimacy one gains while walking the streets of a city and how the "meat of the universe" reveals itself similarly.  Not your normal dressing room conversation. Better.

On his way home from work, Andy (that's my beau) picked me up at the bus stop where I waited for 20 chilly minutes.  And away we were to veggie enchilladas at a friends house.  On the ride there, I barely talked about work.  Rather, I elaborated on everything I've written today.  All the moments, the experiences, the insights.  He knew exactly what I was talking about.  He gets and understands me that way.  In turn, that opened the door for him to share a relevant and really interesting Sight and Sound art school class experience to me.

Today was chocked full of great experiences.  I was happy to share them with my new friend, LA. I look forward to the "meat of the universe" revealing itself to me over the next 28 days! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures!


2 comments:

  1. I have lived in Los Angeles all my life (except for 4 years of college in San Diego) and I have NEVER taken a bus for transportation! Sad, huh? I was on jury duty last summer (criminal trial that lasted 3 months!) and I was fortunate that I was able to take the Metrolink downtown to the courthouse and that was amazing...I wish the Metrolink schedules were more frequent so that I could take it to work a few times a week. I'm curious to hear your prospective at the end of the month on how you think public transportation in our city compares to other cities you've lived in.

    Lisa Z

    ReplyDelete