All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Friday, April 23, 2010

April 20 - Flat in the Rain

Tuesday, April 20
Alt. Mode - Biked
Points - 2
Gear - To work: black wunder unders, passion swiftly racer back, senorita pink power y, black running henley, bold blue check leader of the track At work: langoon, senorita pink astro pants, lagoon 5 yr pima tee, black stride jacket, reebox run tone


If Run Club was on rain or shine, I was biking rain or shine.  Besides, it was only drizzling out.  I loaded up both panniers (one full of snacks for run club) and fitted them with their bright yellow built in shower caps.  And away I went.

The drizzle picked up full on rain by the time I hit the streets, or at least it seemed.  I had a hard time seeing with all the water flying in my face.  My visor did little to keep it out.

Halfway through my ride, it felt hard to pedal.  It wasn't my legs, but rather the amount of pressure it took for me to crank the pedals.  I looked down at my front tire.  It was fine.  I looked down at my back tire.  It did not look fine.  In fact, it looked flat.  No wonder it felt so difficult.  And of course, it had to happen in the rain!  Why hadn't I taken my own advice of checking the tire pressure in my tires once a week.  Fortunately, I knew The Bicycle Mart was right around the corner.  I passed it almost everyday with the intention of stopping in.  Now, I had the perfect reason and excuse.

I walked my bike in, dripping wet.  A gentleman popped his head out from the back work room.  It was Bob, the owner.  He's been there 31 years! Sells new and used top of the line street bikes, fixes up used bikes, and will build you one from scratch.  I told him what brought me in, my flat.  When I went to actually feel the back tire, it wasn't flat at all.  The weight from both of my bags weighed the back tire down and only made it look flat.  Huh!  Well, it got me into that store.  I decided to buy a small travel bike pump since I didn't have one.  Next to the bike pump was a bike bell that said "I love my bike." Bike bell?!?!?  I didn't have one on of those.  I asked Bob if he had one with a tiger on it.  He replied, no, but that he could get one for me by friday.  Yes! I'm so stoked.  That's just what tiger needs.

Back into the rain I went.  Only half a mile to go.  I put turned my ipod back on.  A couple minutes later, horrible static filled my ears.  Rain must have seeped through the protective band and gotten into it.  AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  Not my ipod nano!  That's also my running ipod with my nike+.  How was I ever going to run again? Now I'll have no idea how far or fast I've run.  There goes my training!

Luckily, I got to work real early because I had extra work to do.  Having learned from previous experiences of riding in the rain, I knew full well to pack an entirely new outfit, including shoes, socks, and undies.  And thank goodness I did.  I was soaked to the bone.  There is nothing more wonderful than putting warm, clean clothes on (especially socks) when you're wet and cold.

The clouds parted and made way for blue skies for run club.  4 people showed up, 2 regulars and 2 newbies.  Even so, it was one of the most touching and inspiring runs for me because of the authentic connection I made with Sophie, a new run/walker.  That's one of the biggest reasons I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment