All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Friday, April 16, 2010

April 13 - See, Dreams Really Do Come True.

Tuesday, April 13
Alt. Mode - Bus and Bike
Points - 2
Gear - black empower crops, passion swiftly racer back, black running hennley, black jacket stashed in running backpack, Reeboks run tone sneakers


I dropped my mom off at the airport this afternoon.  I'm both happy and sad to see her go.  Now, I can turn my focus onto the class I'm teaching to our run club tonight.  Its a class that I've had in my head for almost 6 months.  Its 30 minutes of warm up yoga specifically for runners, 30 minutes of mindful running, and 30 minutes of cool down/detoxifying yoga to optimize recovery time.  This is also to aid in our training for the upcoming Keep LA Running 5k/10k in July.

After hours of going through the poses, correct alignment, science behind it, and all the planning I could do, I decided to take the bus.  I felt that it would be the best way for me to stay calm, relaxed and do last minute prepping before my big day.  This was all the case until panic set in due to the poor planning on my part.  What was I thinking taking the bus at 5:00pm through the traffic and backed up intersections??? What was supposed to be a 45 minute ride, took 75!!!

None the less, I did stumble upon a great pre-run meditation in Running Within that I ended up reading during the class.

To me, the evening was a complete success even though it did not unfold like the well laid plan in my head.  We stretched on the green of the Americana because I found out hours before that the quite community room I really wanted to use was booked.  Quieting and tuning out the noises and distractions around us is just part of the process, right? The run itself was fun. I got to run with some folks I haven't yet.  I love sharing that encouraging experience with others.  And boy could I feel those butt sneakers (reeboks run tones) in my calves and upper inner thighs.  I swear, by the end of this month, there better be some noticable difference!

We ended the evening laying down our mats and stretching right in front of the store.  Much to my surprise, we did not get questioned, harassed, or stopped by mall security once.  By the end of the night, I had realized one of my goals, to teach the class I had in my head, to share my insights and knowledge to my community. 

Since I bussed it to work, I rode my bike (which had been stashed upstairs in the store from an evening my mom picked me up) home.  It was the hardest bike ride home not because my legs were sore, but because of my yoga mat.  I wedged it into the built-in straps of my run backpack.  When I put it on and started riding, the yoga mat kept hitting my helmet and making things difficult.  I should have just gotten off my bike and readjust the mat, but I had too much of a high from teaching to stop.  By the time I arrived home, I had a crick in my neck from holding my head in an awkward position.  Lesson learned: take the time to adjust and do it right. 

1 comment:

  1. So, I found out the best place for a yoga mat on a bike is in the handle bars (only for curved bars). Just slide it in the convenient hooks and your are ready to roll. It takes a little jiggling...but it gets in there!

    ReplyDelete