All You Need:

All You Need:
Tools of the Trade

Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 6 - Carpooling, Walking, Running, and Carpooling again

Tuesday, April 6th

Alt Modes - Carpooled to Yoga, Walked to Work, Ran to Aleah's
Gear - Yoga - black wunder unders, senorita pink power y, lagoon inner strength tank. Running - black speed skirt over black wunder unders, passion swiftly racerback, bold blue check leader of the track jacket stashed in my running backpack, and Reebox runtone sneakers


Today was a day full of first for me.  After I picked Amanda up, we headed to Yoga Blend, one of our ambassador yoga studios. It was the first time I had been there.  It has an incredibly warm, peaceful, serene energy.  Nicole taught an awesome class around the theme of "abuta" which in essence is sanskrit for approaching or exploring something for the first time with childlike eyes and innocence. It diffused the pressure one often feels about being able to get into certain poses. Instead, I was infused with a sense of playfulness which made headstands and handstands much more fun, especially when I got into my first twisted headstand!!! Leaving Yoga Blend, the sunlight brightly lit the flowers while a gentle breeze blew by.  Perfect.

On the way home, Amanda and the conversation we had proved eye opening, putting a lot of my life into perspective for me.  I am so fortunate that I have a great living situation, I can pay all my bills, I have an awesome boyfriend, I have an awesome job, I'm having an incredible time in LA, and I'm happy.  I have an this wonderful opportunity to really explore myself, who I am, and what I really want.  I'm letting go of all the self-imposed societal expectations of who I should be, what I should want, what I should be doing for a living, and where I should live.  Instead, I am living for me, today.  Because, every little thing is gonna be alright!

Run Club!!! - We have our Run Club every Tuesday night at 6:30pm.  This week Alysa was living it up in Mexico and Kali worked in Calabasa. That meant I got the opportunity to lead run club.  I warmed up with a nice 5 mile walk from my house in Silverlake to work.  Of course, I was sporting my butt sneakers (reebox run tones), black wunder unders, black speedskirt, passion swiftly racerback, senorita pink power y, and running backpack.  I set out on with my ipod charged and loaded.  I really need a new arm band.  I've had mine for 2 years and its about to break apart.

Within the first block, I saw a store front I'd never seen before.  The old Skunk bar (I don't know if that's what its really called, but it had a giant neon skunk) next to Local was gone.  In its place was the beginning of "The Thirsty Crow." I saw people with tools inside.  I popped my head in, introduced myself as a neighbor, and began asking questions.  What's your name? What's the deal? What's your specialty? When are you opening? Are you the owner? Can I use your bathroom? Now, I know the deal, the owner, and that they have a cute bathroom. Also, I never would have known that inside was this incredibly beautiful old 1920's bar if I hadn't walked by.  Can't wait to support them by having a drink there later this week!

I simply and truly enjoyed my hour and a half walk though Silverlake and Atwater Village.  The sun was out.  It was a beautiful day.  I snapped pictures here and there.  I treated myself to a chocolate pecan cookie from a "Sweets for the Soul" because if I'm walking 5 miles to go to Run Club, I can eat a cookie.  And it was delicious!  Yum, yum, yum.

Run Club was so much fun as usual, but even more so this evening.  Leading by myself meant that I called on our veterans, Jon, Dorothy, and Christina to lead the advanced and intermediate groups. (Dorothy and Christina started with the run/walkers 3 months ago, unable to run a mile.  Last month, they completed their first 5k, the Glendale Downtown Dash, and are now leading the intermediate run club pace group! Way to go!  I'm so proud of them.)  I ran with the run/walkers.  It was so inspiring and uplifting to hear their goals, what they want, and how much fun they're having.

The whole night left me high and happy as I raced to Aleah's for our girl's night screening of New Moon.  Go Team Jacob! I literally ran from the store to her house 2 miles away. As much as I love my Run Backpack, I don't love running long distances in it.  It doesn't stay put on my hips and rides up along the back of my neck.  After an exhausting day and a fun movie night (and a screening of the episode Sierra and her husband, Nick were Who Wants to be a Millionaire) with 6 amazing lus, I got a much needed ride home from Denise.

When she dropped me off, I knew much more about what was going on in her life.  Certain topics just don't come up at work. Riding in a car with someone lends itself to more intimate conversations. I am thankful for each and every insight, conversation, and experience I've had carpooling so far this week! Let's keep 'em coming.

***update*** Since that conversation, I really have been able to let go, change my perspective, and be happier in the moment.  Andy even commented on how much happier I've been this week!!! Yay! Thank you, Amanda!




No comments:

Post a Comment